Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These bar cookies have a lemony cheesecake flavor and a kick of white chocolate. Fast and easy to make due to the cake mix. Tried and true recipe brings raves. These turn out a fabulous 2-layer lemon bar and are so easy to make. I also varied the recipe and used a devil's food cake mix for a brownie variation. Feel free to use other flavors to suit your own tastes. (Posted here from about.com for safekeeping!)
- 1 (18 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Combine cake mix, 1 egg, and butter with a large spatula or wooden spoon. This will give your arm a workout, but if you keep folding it over and pressing to mix, it will eventually come together into a dough that resembles children's play-dough.
- Using your fingers, press dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the white chocolate chips and gently press a bit into the dough so they do not roll around.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 eggs for 30 seconds. Stir in sugar just until combined, then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture evenly over the bottom layer. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until center is set. Remove from oven and let cool on rack to room temperature. Slice cookie bars into squares to serve.
I made this on Christmas for my in-laws. It was a huge hit! I undercooked it just a little, it was more like a lemon bar than a cheesecake, but everyone still loved it. I can't wait for the opportunity to make it again!