Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice butter to spread between a sponge cake, for tartlets or to put on your toast for breakfast. It is a great home made gift for Christmas.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs until light then add the sugar.
- Place in a saucepan with the butter and grated rind of 2 lemons.
- Add the juice from the 6 lemons to the egg mixture.
- Cook over a low heat until thick.
- Keeps in the fridge for a few weeks.
Every bit as good as my grandma's recipe (actually I think her recipe was identical!) Truly delicious and sooo good slathered on toast (also good on pancakes!) Thanks so much for posting this one!
Great recipe -fantastic taste and it's gluten free. I'd love to give 6 stars to you!
ChrissyO - What are you trying to do to me??!! This stuff is incredible! It may never make it onto my toast in the morning because I will be eating this straight out of the bowl! This is a lemony-custard type of spread. This will take about 20 minutes over a low heat to thicken. Makes 4 cups - that probably won't last the day ;) Fantastic, Chrissy!! Thank you for sharing!