Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy from scratch cake with a nice sweet tart lemon flavor from the glaze. My family loves this one and it works great as the base for a berry shortcake! I got this from about.com
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 591.47 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 29.58 ml grated lemon peel
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- lemon glaze
- 354.88 ml powdered sugar
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 29.58-59.16 ml fresh lemon juice (enough to make glaze spreadable)
- lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325; grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Mix the softened margarine/butter and sugar until fluffy, then mix in the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after adding each one.
- Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the 1 cup of buttermilk .
- Put your lemon zest and lemon juice in last and mix well.
- Pour into the Bundt pan and pop in the oven, baking for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Perform the "toothpick" test to make certain it is done but don't overcook !
- While cake is cooking, prepare glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. If glaze thickens too much to spread while standing, just add a few drops of lemon juice or milk to thin it down again.
- Allow cooked cake to cool on a rack for about an hour.
- Run a knife around cake in pan for easier removal.
- Invert the cake out on a large plate and then poke it all over with a skewer or long tined fork.
- Spread the glaze all over the cake.
The cake is not sweet. It's not very lemony, and some parts stuck in the pan. I had lots of lemons to use and some leftover buttermilk. I would try a different lemon cake recipe next time.
This was a nice flavored cake (especially the glaze -mmmm)! I didn't have any buttermilk so I substituted nonfat yogurt thinned with a little milk. The cake itself seemed a little coarse but that may have been because of my change to the recipe. I'll try it again as written! Thanks!