Recipe by JanetB-KY
This is an easy from scratch cake with a nice sweet tart lemon flavor from the glaze. My family loves this one and it works great as the base for a berry shortcake! I got this from about.com
Top Review by Roberta B.
The cake is not sweet. It's not very lemony, and some parts stuck in the pan. I had lots of lemons to use and some leftover buttermilk. I would try a different lemon cake recipe next time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- lemon glaze
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (enough to make glaze spreadable)
- lemon zest (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325; grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Mix the softened margarine/butter and sugar until fluffy, then mix in the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after adding each one.
- Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the 1 cup of buttermilk .
- Put your lemon zest and lemon juice in last and mix well.
- Pour into the Bundt pan and pop in the oven, baking for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Perform the "toothpick" test to make certain it is done but don't overcook !
- While cake is cooking, prepare glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. If glaze thickens too much to spread while standing, just add a few drops of lemon juice or milk to thin it down again.
- Allow cooked cake to cool on a rack for about an hour.
- Run a knife around cake in pan for easier removal.
- Invert the cake out on a large plate and then poke it all over with a skewer or long tined fork.
- Spread the glaze all over the cake.