This is an easy from scratch cake with a nice sweet tart lemon flavor from the glaze. My family loves this one and it works great as the base for a berry shortcake! I got this from about.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- lemon glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (enough to make glaze spreadable)
- lemon zest (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325; grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- 2Mix the softened margarine/butter and sugar until fluffy, then mix in the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after adding each one.
- 3Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the 1 cup of buttermilk .
- 4Put your lemon zest and lemon juice in last and mix well.
- 5Pour into the Bundt pan and pop in the oven, baking for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- 6Perform the "toothpick" test to make certain it is done but don't overcook !
- 7While cake is cooking, prepare glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. If glaze thickens too much to spread while standing, just add a few drops of lemon juice or milk to thin it down again.
- 8Allow cooked cake to cool on a rack for about an hour.
- 9Run a knife around cake in pan for easier removal.
- 10Invert the cake out on a large plate and then poke it all over with a skewer or long tined fork.
- 11Spread the glaze all over the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Bundt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.8 mg
- Sodium 343.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 40.8 g
- Protein 5.0 g