1/1 Photo of Lemon Bubble Bread
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from my very first cookbook...The Mary Moore Cookbook, published in 1978! This loaf rises nicely and gives your kitchen that marvellous baking bread aroma! Nice, light lemony flavor. Prep time does not include rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large mixing bowl soak yeast with the 1 tsp sugar in the lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- 2Scald milk; remove from heat and add salt, butter (first amount) and 1/2 cup sugar.
- 3Stir well and cool to lukewarm.
- 4Sift and measure flour.
- 5Add lukewarm milk mixture to risen yeast liquid along with 2 cups of the flour.
- 6Beat well, add eggs and beat well again.
- 7Add 3 1/2 cups more flour and beat as well as you can.
- 8Reserve remaining 1/2 cup flour for flouring the board later.
- 9Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- 10Mix together in a small bowl, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, grated rind and mace.
- 11Punch down dough, turn out onto floured board and knead 100 times.
- 12Divide in half.
- 13Shape each half into an 18 inch long rope and cut into 18 pieces (to make 36 pieces total).
- 14Generously butter a large bundt pan.
- 15Shape pieces of dough into round smooth balls.
- 16Place in bottom of pan in rings.
- 17Before starting the next layer, brush each layer generously with melted butter and sprinkle with some of the sugar-rind mixture.
- 18End with melted butter and sugar- rind mixture.
- 19Let rise until above rim of pan.
- 20Bake in preheated 350F degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- 21Watch to make sure top doesn't get brown too quikly.
- 22Cover with foil if necessary.
- 23Cool for 5 minutes.
- 24Loosen sides with a long knife and lift out of pan.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Bubble Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5061.4
- Calories from Fat 1278
- Total Fat 142.0 g
- Saturated Fat 82.9 g
- Cholesterol 762.3 mg
- Sodium 3424.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 841.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 256.8 g
- Protein 102.0 g