Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A deliciously different quiche. Best served straight from the oven. A light, lemon taste goes well with the broccoli and has great texture. From The Oaks Victorian Inn in Christiansburg, VA (right next to Virginia Tech!) I'm sure it could also be made crustless by pouring into a greased pie pan instead of the shell.
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli cuts or 1 (10 ounce) package fresh broccoli
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Steam broccoli (make sure pieces are medium size and uniform).
- Combine the broccoli with drained water chestnuts and set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients, except Swiss cheese and paprike, in a seperate bowl from the broccoli.
- Spread broccoli, water chestnuts and cheese evenly in crust.
- Carefully pour egg mixture into crust.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- It will lose its texture if allowed to sit for too long (over an hour).