Prep 5 mins
Cook 27 mins
I developed this recipe several years ago and it was published in PASTA PRESS magazine for Pasta Lovers. This is a quick, easy flavorful broccoli dish that is sure to please even non-broccoli lovers! Boiled with the pasta during its final minute of cooking, the barely blanched broccoli is then tossed with a tasty medley of stir-fried vegetables in a lemon infused broth, magically creating a delicious new combination of flavors.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb dried plain penne (type of your choice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves (remove stems)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and saute' for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Immediately add the onion and saute' for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms and saute' for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring very frequently.
- Deglaze frying pan with 1/2 cup of vegetable or chicken stock.
- Add diced tomatoes, oregano, pepper flakes and remaining vegetable or chicken stock.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lemon zest and then the spinach.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly boiling salted water for 1 minute less than the specified cooking time.
- At this point, add the broccoli directly to the pasta and cook both together for the remaining 1 minute.
- Drain pasta and broccoli combination and return to the cooking pot.
- Now add the frying pan sauce to the cooking pot and thoroughly toss all ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to heat through for several minutes.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl or serve directly from the cooking pot.
- Sprinkle each serving with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Excellent dish! I didn't change a thing in the ingredients or preparation and loved the way this turned out! Great veggie to pasta ratio & light, but still substantial, flavor. Thanks again for the great recipes!
We liked this very much, especially the variety of healthy veggies. I would have liked a little more lemon flavor, so will increase that next time. Though there are many steps listed, it goes together pretty quickly. Nice recipe!
In honor of your Birthday, I thought I'd cook one of your unreviewed recipes, and this one was exactly to my tastes! I followed your recipe exactly, using canned vegetable stock, and topped the final product with fresh grated parmesean, and fresh choped basil. Delicious, will make this often. Thanks Bill.