Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Delicious easy bread pudding recipe from Epi Curious. Can you say comfort food! Can be made one day ahead and chilled.
- 6 cups baguette, sliced thin
- 3 whole large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- fresh berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle.
- Put bread in a 3-quart flameproof shallow baking dish (not glass).
- Whisk zest, lemon juice, and 4 cups cream (chill remaining cup cream) in a separate bowl, then pour over bread.
- Press down with a spatula to help bread soak up some of the custard.
- Whisk together whole eggs, yolks, and sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick, about 1 minute.
- Lightly sprinkle bread with sugar and bake in a water bath until custard is barely set and edges of bread are golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Turn on broiler and broil bread pudding 4 to 5 inches from heat until golden-brown in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cool to warm, about 30 minutes (pudding will continue to set).
- Just before serving, beat remaining cup cream with syrup using an electric mixer or a whisk until it just holds soft peaks.
- Serve pudding, warm or chilled, with cream.