1 hr 15 mins
This bread pudding is from Taste of Home magazine and has become the recipe I use whenever making bread pudding. I have used all kinds of day old bread in it, even cinnamon bread...yummmmm. The lemon sauce is a great addition to the bread pudding but it is also quite good without.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Bread pudding
- 3 slices day old bread (cubed)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Lemon Sauce
- 1Toss bread and raisins in an ungreased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 2In a saucepan, combine milk, sugar, butter and salt; cook and stir until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- 3Whisk eggs and vanilla in a small bowl; gradually stir in a small amount of the hot mixture.
- 4Return all to the pan and mix well.
- 5Pour over bread and raisins.
- 6Set the dish in a larger baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 7For sauce, combine the sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.
- 8Stir in water until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 9Boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice, zest and butter until butter melts.
- 11Serve over warm or cold pudding.
- 12Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Bread Pudding With Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.1 mg
- Sodium 289.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g