Recipe by Petdrwife
This bread pudding is from Taste of Home magazine and has become the recipe I use whenever making bread pudding. I have used all kinds of day old bread in it, even cinnamon bread...yummmmm. The lemon sauce is a great addition to the bread pudding but it is also quite good without.
Top Review by Margie Marg
oh my, this was a hit with my husband, he's love bread pudding and so do i, next time i make it im going to use raisin bread, and cut back on the raisins, tasted just like my mothers recipe, two thunmbs up
For Bread pudding
- 3 slices day old bread (cubed)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Lemon Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss bread and raisins in an ungreased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, sugar, butter and salt; cook and stir until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla in a small bowl; gradually stir in a small amount of the hot mixture.
- Return all to the pan and mix well.
- Pour over bread and raisins.
- Set the dish in a larger baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.
- Stir in water until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice, zest and butter until butter melts.
- Serve over warm or cold pudding.
- Refrigerate leftovers.