Recipe by ReeLani
This is one of the few things my mom used to bake every year for the holidays. Now that she's gone I've taken over the tradition. Everyone who tries it soon asks for more. Very lemony and very tasty! Prep time is a true guess-timate. It tastes best after it sits for a day.
Top Review by Whisper
What a moist and lemony bread! The glaze seeping down into the bread made it even better the second day. We could hardly wait to taste it after smelling it in the oven! I used chopped walnuts, which gave it a nice flavor and texture. Thanks for this great recipe, Ree!
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (from the lemons you used for the rind)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease/flour 2 standard loaf pans or 5 mini loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another, large, mixing bowl combine sugar and lemon rind.
- Then add oil and one egg at a time, beating well after adding each egg.
- Add flour mixture and nuts.
- Divide between the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake one hour.
- While bread is baking prepare the glaze by thoroughly mixing the sugar and lemon juice.
- Pour glaze over bread as soon as you take it from the oven.
- Leave loaves in pans overnight.