Recipe by cellogirl2
I always make this with the lemon-sugar mixture to brush over the top. In my family, we all love lemony things, but if you don't like slightly sour foods, skip on the lemon-sugar mixture.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I pretty much followed the recipe right on down when making this bread, although I did add a teaspoon of minced lemon zest when making the glaze, & we loved every bit of the lemony taste it gave! Absolutely wonderful bread & this lemon lover will be making it again, for sure! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook recipe tag]
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil or 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, the 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In another medium bowl combine the egg, milk, lemon peel, and the 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Pour the egg mixture all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened, batter should be lumpy.
- Fold in nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in 350˚ oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- If desired, stir together the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and the 1 tablespoon sugar. While bread is still in the pan, brush lemon-sugar mixture over the top of the loaf.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap and store overnight before serving.