Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island Michigan.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 1 lemon, zest of, only
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt on a sheet of wax paper.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Beat in egg whites and lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix until blended. Stir in milk.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Transfer bread from pan to wire rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing.
- Note: Can add a powder sugar glaze before cutting for added sweetness. This bread freezes well. Use leftovers for wonderful french toast.