Recipe by Mary Scheffert
Very nice bread, especially with a cup of hot tea.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
LOVELY! I made this today in my AMC cookware, it took me 1hr 20 minutes, was pretty much easy to do and within no time my guests finished more than half of it:) Thank You for this easy and tasty bread, and we did enjoy it with piping hot tea!!
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (not concentrate)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350- grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Beat shortening& sugar until light& fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add nuts& lemon peel.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 50-60 minutes or until tests done.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing.
- Put a sheet of foil under wire rack; place breads top-sides up on the wire rack.
- Blend topping ingredients, and brush on tops of loaves while still warm.