Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very nice bread, especially with a cup of hot tea.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (not concentrate)
- Preheat oven to 350- grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Beat shortening& sugar until light& fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add nuts& lemon peel.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 50-60 minutes or until tests done.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing.
- Put a sheet of foil under wire rack; place breads top-sides up on the wire rack.
- Blend topping ingredients, and brush on tops of loaves while still warm.
LOVELY! I made this today in my AMC cookware, it took me 1hr 20 minutes, was pretty much easy to do and within no time my guests finished more than half of it:) Thank You for this easy and tasty bread, and we did enjoy it with piping hot tea!!
We made your baked this bread today to share w/ our neighbors.I used butter like suggested and skipped the nuts.(kids)I also added about 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to the batter and 2 tsp. of poppy seeds.
I love this bread! I substituted canola oil for shortening with no problems. Also, I put the glaze on while the bread is still hot. The glaze crystalizes and makes for a crunchy texture. Very good.