Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An impressive looking dessert perfect for summertime entertaining. Chilling time not included.
- 8 eggs, separated
- 16 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine egg yolks and condensed milk in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Stir in next 3 ingredients until mixed thoroughly; set to the side.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and butter; spread meringue over paper.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until brown.
- Remove from oven and loosen paper lining.
- While still hot, spread filling evenly over top.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion; chill.
- Slice and serve.