Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Fresh lemon enhances the rich, yet delicate flavor of veal. This recipe is oven braised. Cooking time is approximate since much depends on the thickness of your veal. You want to cook it until the flesh is tender and pulling away from the bones.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs veal shoulder, blade chops
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, cut in half
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup veal stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; season veal with pepper and half the salt.
- Place in a baking dish and surround with carrots and onions; dot veal with butter and roast until veal is lightly brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add lemon, bay leaves, garlic, and cloves to dish and mix with vegetables; add stock, wine and remaining salt.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and braise, uncovered, basting every 10 minutes, until tender, about 90 minutes.
- Transfer veal and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Strain pan juices into a heat proof bowl, skimming off and discarding fat.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and boil vinegar until reduced and syrupy and about 1 teaspoon.
- Stir in pan juices, increase heat to high and boil until reduced by half; taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spoon sauce over veal or serve on the side.