Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe by Michael Chiarello
Make and share this Lemon Braised Artichokes over Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups spinach, stemmed and washed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Lemon Braised Artichoke Hearts
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1⁄2 lemon
Herbes de Napa
- 6 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dried summer savory
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons crumbled bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
- For the Herbes de Napa:.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container away from light and heat for up to 4 months.
- yields 3/4 cup.
- For the Artichoke Hearts:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium nonreactive saucepan.
- Mix well and set aside while preparing the artichokes.
- Snap outer leaves from an artichoke.
- Cut off the top half, and then use a paring knife to trim down to the heart, rubbing cut surfaces with the lemon half as you work to avoid discoloration.
- Cut the heart in half and scrape out the choke with a spoon.
- Cut each piece in half again.
- As each artichoke heart quarter is completed, immediately turn it in the marinade to coat completely.
- When all the artichokes are trimmed, put the pan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Pour the artichokes and marinade into a baking dish (or cook them in the saucepan if it is ovenproof), cover with foil, and cook until the artichokes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the cooking liquid.
- Notes- uses for the Artichokes: If preparing a larger number of artichokes, just increase the marinade proportionately.
- Serve them as an appetizer salad on their own with their braising liquid.
- Make sure to have crusty bread on hand to sop up the juices.
- Slice or roughly chop and scatter across a cheese pizza.
- Be sure to drizzle some of the braising liquid on the pizza as well.
- Roughly chop and add to a risotto at the last minute just to heat through.
- Add some of the braising liquid, too, to flavor the risotto.
- Season a nice piece of fish with salt and pepper and place on top of the artichokes to cook with them the last 10 to 15 minutes of their cooking time.
- Drizzle with olive oil just before serving.
- For the Pasta:.
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic.
- When garlic is golden, add the oregano and broth.
- Bring to a simmer, stir in the spinach to wilt.
- Add the artichokes and heat through.
- Drain the pasta and place in a serving bowl.
- Pour over the artichoke mixture and toss with the parsley and butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Superb oven braised artichokes, which ever way you use them!
After reading the other reviews I made a few changes and loved this dish. I used frozen artichokes, a lot less oil, whole wheat pasta and frozen spianch. This was a lovely pasta dish that tastes fancy enough to serve for company but comes together quick enough for an everyday meal when I used frozen veggies.
I made the pasta with the artichokes and spinach. Quite good but a little too much lemon and, as noted by other reviewers, too much oil. I was also a bit unsure of the ingredient list's instruction: fresh thyme or minced garlic -- I used both.