1 hr 30 mins
Recipe by Michael Chiarello
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups spinach, stemmed and washed
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Lemon Braised Artichoke Hearts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1/2 lemon
Herbes de Napa
- 1For the Herbes de Napa:.
- 2Combine all ingredients.
- 3Store in an airtight container away from light and heat for up to 4 months.
- 4yields 3/4 cup.
- 5For the Artichoke Hearts:.
- 6Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 7Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium nonreactive saucepan.
- 8Mix well and set aside while preparing the artichokes.
- 9Snap outer leaves from an artichoke.
- 10Cut off the top half, and then use a paring knife to trim down to the heart, rubbing cut surfaces with the lemon half as you work to avoid discoloration.
- 11Cut the heart in half and scrape out the choke with a spoon.
- 12Cut each piece in half again.
- 13As each artichoke heart quarter is completed, immediately turn it in the marinade to coat completely.
- 14When all the artichokes are trimmed, put the pan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- 15Pour the artichokes and marinade into a baking dish (or cook them in the saucepan if it is ovenproof), cover with foil, and cook until the artichokes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- 16Remove from the oven and let cool in the cooking liquid.
- 17Notes- uses for the Artichokes: If preparing a larger number of artichokes, just increase the marinade proportionately.
- 18Serve them as an appetizer salad on their own with their braising liquid.
- 19Make sure to have crusty bread on hand to sop up the juices.
- 20Slice or roughly chop and scatter across a cheese pizza.
- 21Be sure to drizzle some of the braising liquid on the pizza as well.
- 22Roughly chop and add to a risotto at the last minute just to heat through.
- 23Add some of the braising liquid, too, to flavor the risotto.
- 24Season a nice piece of fish with salt and pepper and place on top of the artichokes to cook with them the last 10 to 15 minutes of their cooking time.
- 25Drizzle with olive oil just before serving.
- 26For the Pasta:.
- 27Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
- 28While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 29Add garlic.
- 30When garlic is golden, add the oregano and broth.
- 31Bring to a simmer, stir in the spinach to wilt.
- 32Add the artichokes and heat through.
- 33Drain the pasta and place in a serving bowl.
- 34Pour over the artichoke mixture and toss with the parsley and butter and season with salt and pepper.
- 35Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Braised Artichokes over Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.7
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 631.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried lavender flowers