Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Recipe came from sweetpeaskitchen.com. This is my favorite lemon bread recipe, it is amazing. The sauce and the glaze are the best part.
For the Loaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
For the Lemon Syrup
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- While the loaf is cooling, make the lemon syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf. Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the lemon syrup. Let the syrup soak into the cake and brush again. Let the cake cool completely.
- To make the lemon glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable. Add up to another tablespoon of lemon juice if the mixture is too stiff. Pour the lemon glaze over the top of each loaf and let it drip down the sides. Let the lemon glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.
- Recipe Notes:.
- This recipe will also yield about 12 standard muffins or 36 miniature muffins, baking time adjusted. It could be doubled and baked in a well-greased and floured bundt pan, baking time adjusted. This recipe could also be baked in an 8-inch square or 9-inch round, to create a thin cake (approx. 1 1/2 inches tall), baking time adjusted. If using frozen blueberries, make sure they are thawed.