Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple vegan, gluten free waffles bursting with lemon + blueberry flavor. Minimal equipment and just 30 minutes required. Hello quick, healthy breakfast. Because they freeze well, they’re the perfect quick healthy breakfast option to grab, toast, eat and go. They’re special enough for a lazy weekend meal and simple enough for rushed weekday mornings. What more could you ask for from a waffle? Not much, I think. Enjoy in the morning with extra blueberries, a little almond butter, sliced banana and maple syrup. Adapted from The Minimalist Baker.
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (or apple cider)
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter (like Earth Balance or sub coconut oil)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small lemon, juice of (2 Tbsp)
- 1 small lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or maple syrup or honey if not vegan)
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour (or whole wheat flour but will not be gluten free)
- 1⁄4 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch (not flour)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 flax eggs (2.5 Tbsp flaxseed meal Tbsp water)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unbleached cane sugar (sucanat or sub granulated sugar)
- 2⁄3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat waffle iron to desired level of heat – I prefer mine crispy.
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a large liquid measuring cup or small mixing bowl and let set for a few minutes to curdle/activate. Then add melted butter, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest, and agave nectar or maple syrup and whisk. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries.
- Once waffle iron is ready, generously coat with non-stick spray or vegan butter and pour on about ? cup of batter. Cook according to manufacturer instructions and then remove and place on a baking rack in a 200 degree oven to keep warm. Do not stack – keep them in a single layer to keep crispy.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings. Store leftovers in a freezer safe bag and reheat in the toaster for best results. Will keep in the freezer for up to a couple months, although they’re best when eaten within the first couple weeks.
- Suggested toppings: almond butter or vegan butter, flaxseed, bananas, blueberries, maple syrup.