Simple vegan, gluten free waffles bursting with lemon + blueberry flavor. Minimal equipment and just 30 minutes required. Hello quick, healthy breakfast. Because they freeze well, they’re the perfect quick healthy breakfast option to grab, toast, eat and go. They’re special enough for a lazy weekend meal and simple enough for rushed weekday mornings. What more could you ask for from a waffle? Not much, I think. Enjoy in the morning with extra blueberries, a little almond butter, sliced banana and maple syrup. Adapted from The Minimalist Baker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (or apple cider)
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter (like Earth Balance or sub coconut oil)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small lemon, juice of (2 Tbsp)
- 1 small lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or maple syrup or honey if not vegan)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour (or whole wheat flour but will not be gluten free)
- 1/4 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 1/4 cup potato starch (not flour)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 flax eggs (2.5 Tbsp flaxseed meal Tbsp water)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unbleached cane sugar (sucanat or sub granulated sugar)
- 2/3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1Preheat waffle iron to desired level of heat – I prefer mine crispy.
- 2Combine almond milk and vinegar in a large liquid measuring cup or small mixing bowl and let set for a few minutes to curdle/activate. Then add melted butter, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest, and agave nectar or maple syrup and whisk. Set aside.
- 3Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- 4Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries.
- 5Once waffle iron is ready, generously coat with non-stick spray or vegan butter and pour on about ? cup of batter. Cook according to manufacturer instructions and then remove and place on a baking rack in a 200 degree oven to keep warm. Do not stack – keep them in a single layer to keep crispy.
- 6Serve immediately with desired toppings. Store leftovers in a freezer safe bag and reheat in the toaster for best results. Will keep in the freezer for up to a couple months, although they’re best when eaten within the first couple weeks.
- 7Suggested toppings: almond butter or vegan butter, flaxseed, bananas, blueberries, maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Blueberry Waffles(Vegan and Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.1
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.4 mg
- Sodium 224.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened almond milk
lemons, zest of