Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We have a next-door neighbor at our fishing camp who always gives us a quart bag of fresh blueberries every summer. I look forward to this wonderful gift each year so I can make this delicious bread. It has the texture of a cake and is very moist and delicate. I would check it at 60 minutes using the toothpick method - you may need to go a little longer depending on your oven. The berries do sink to the bottom so you may want to shake them in flour before adding to the batter.
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature (2 Sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 ounces evaporated milk (small can)
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (use juice from lemons-you may need to use 3 lemons to obtain 1/3 cup juice)
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- In mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, sour cream, evaporated milk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Mix until well blended.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, instant pudding and cream of tarter.
- With mixer running on low, slowly add flour mixture until combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries by hand, being careful not to overmix and break up berries.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown on top.