Recipe by Halcyon Eve
From TOH magazine--I haven't tried it yet, but it appears to be a sort of ice cream sandwich made with lemon and blueberry shortcake. A refreshing, summery treat! Time doesn't include the hour or so freezing time.
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 3 tablespoons sweetened lemonade drink mix
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (only the yellow part(no white part)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened frozen blueberries
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ice cream and lemonade mix. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, poppy seeds, lemon peel, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and cream together. Add to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Stir in blueberries.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times. Pat out to a 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with a floured 3-inch star cutter to make 10 cakes. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° F for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- To assemble, split each cake into halves horizontally with a serrated knife. Top each bottom half with a scant 1/4 cup of ice cream mixture. Replace tops and dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.