Recipe by erinn in tbay
My family loves these, they get eaten up right away. I like them with butter and honey right out of the oven. The recipe came from my grandmother.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- grated fresh lemon rind (I grate the whole lemon)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add lemon rind.
- Add egg and milk and work in gently and quickly with hands.
- Add blueberries and gently fold in (dough will be sticky).
- Pat into round one inch thick on a baking sheet (I usually put cold water on my hands to prevent sticking) score (like a pie) into 8 pieces.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes or until slightly golden--do not over bake.