Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My family loves these, they get eaten up right away. I like them with butter and honey right out of the oven. The recipe came from my grandmother.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- grated fresh lemon rind (I grate the whole lemon)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add lemon rind.
- Add egg and milk and work in gently and quickly with hands.
- Add blueberries and gently fold in (dough will be sticky).
- Pat into round one inch thick on a baking sheet (I usually put cold water on my hands to prevent sticking) score (like a pie) into 8 pieces.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes or until slightly golden--do not over bake.
What a great scone!!! The only change I made was to use buttermilk instead of regular milk. Easy to make and wonderful to eat!
I made these this morning and found it took almost 25 minutes to bake them, but they were very good. I did add some fresh thyme leaves (removed from the stems) as I had made another recipe similar that used the thyme. Next time I'll try using buttermilk. Thanks for sharing erinn.
I decided to surprise my husband this morning with fresh scones, he loves them, I don't. Unfortunately, they took 45 min to cook and still were not done. The trooper he is, he ate them. But was greatly disapointed in the cooking/texture of them. Maybe suggest dropping them instead of one whole piece & cutting them up.