Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 mins
Got this recipe from QuakerOatmeal.com. Turned out wonderful. I left out the lemon, but they still tasted great!
- 414.03 ml Quaker Oats, divided (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 29.58 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour (add an additional 2 tablespoons if using old fashioned oats)
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt (optional)
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml grated lemon peel
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml blueberries (If frozen, do not thaw)
- Heat oven to 400°F Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups. For topping, combine 1/4 cup oats and brown sugar; set aside.
- For muffins, combine 1-1/2 cups oats with remaining dry ingredients in large bowl; mix well. In small bowl, combine milk, egg whites, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir until moistened. Gently stir in berries. Fill muffin cups almost full; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack for five minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.
I love these! I have made them several times and have reduced the sugar a little bit each time to cut calories. The original recipe is delicious, but they still taste great with 1/4 c. of sugar.
These muffins are so good. I used quick oat. I wanted to reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup but my son filled the half cup and poured it in the bowl. But I'm sure 1/4 cup of sugar is enough. I used 1 egg instead of 2 egg whites. I always omit the salt in recipes because of DH's high blood pressure. I had only 2% milk. I used the lemon peel of 1 lemon. And used frozen blueberries. After 20 minutes, the muffins were cooked to perfection. Thanks Nickfo :) Made for PAC fall 2009.
I baked up this recipe a few weeks ago, its great. Only, I cut the sugar to 1/4 cup using Splenda granulated. Blueberries add a nice sweetness on their own and with a sprinkle of the topping on each muffin, they were more than sweet enough.