Recipe by nickfo
Got this recipe from QuakerOatmeal.com. Turned out wonderful. I left out the lemon, but they still tasted great!
Top Review by swanddwarfs
I love these! I have made them several times and have reduced the sugar a little bit each time to cut calories. The original recipe is delicious, but they still taste great with 1/4 c. of sugar.
- 1 3⁄4 cups Quaker Oats, divided (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (add an additional 2 tablespoons if using old fashioned oats)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries (If frozen, do not thaw)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups. For topping, combine 1/4 cup oats and brown sugar; set aside.
- For muffins, combine 1-1/2 cups oats with remaining dry ingredients in large bowl; mix well. In small bowl, combine milk, egg whites, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir until moistened. Gently stir in berries. Fill muffin cups almost full; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack for five minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.