Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found on http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-lemon-blueberry-oatmeal/
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1. Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized pot.
- 2. Add oats and lemon zest, and cover. Bring back to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- 3. When water is nearly cooked out, vigorously stir in the egg whites. Continue stirring until the egg whites are cooked. You’ll see them turn white.
- 4. 2When oats are cooked, serve topped with fresh blueberries and agave or honey.
Really tasty oatmeal! The lemon was subtle and perfect with the blueberry. I have to admit I've never added egg whites to oatmeal before; there wasn't a noticeable change in flavor or texture but added protein so that's a good thing. Honey is a great sweetener for this; I was afraid it wouldn't be sweet enough but it was just right. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for My3Chefs 2013