Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very tender muffin with a great oven rise. The original submission of this recipe included seeds in the instructions. This was a typo from another of my recipes (Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins). It has been removed from this one. Thanks to Chef #1115668 for pointing it out!!
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 5 drops lemon oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 c. plain yogurt)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Cream together butter, sugar, lemon oil or zest, and vanilla.
- Add egg yolks or eggs one at a time and beat well after each one.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk or milk/yogurt, water, and lemon juice.
- In a third bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and wet ingredients to butter mixture beginning and ending with dry.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon evenly into 24 muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 7 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched on top.
- Remove from tins and cool on wire rack.
soft & yummy muffins! fairly sweet. the instructions say to add 'seeds,' but there aren't any seeds listed in the ingredients, so i added some poppy seeds. they seemed to fit with the lemony aspect of the muffins. i used rice flour instead of wheat flour, with a bit of guar gum to make up for the lack of gluten, and it worked out okay, but i don't know how it compares to the original recipe. the tops didn't rise much, and were kind of flat, maybe due to the lack of gluten? not sure. but they tasted great!