Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You can substitute fresh or frozen (thawed) blackberries or raspberries.
Make and share this Lemon-Blueberry Gooey Chess Squares recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed, drained, and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in middle of oven; spray the bottom only of a 13x9 inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- In a big bowl beat the cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg using an electric mixer set on medium speed until well blended (will come together as a thick dough).
- Pat the dough evenly into the prepared pan; set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan set over low heat.
- In a big bowl beat the cream cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest with a electric mixer set on medium speed until blended and smooth.
- Add in melted butter and remaining 3 eggs; blend until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar; blend until smooth; stir in the blueberries.
- Spread lemon-blueberry mixture over prepared crust.
- Bake 42-45 minutes (do not overbake, bars should be slightly gooey).
- Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Cut into bars; cover and store in the refrigerator.
Absolutely delicous!!! They were a little too gooey, but worth tweaking a little. I have made four batches and had none left.