1 hr 40 mins
Pastry Chef Maggie Leung's reimagined cheesecake is super-versatile: It's three components-the creamy, tangy cheesecake custard, the crunchy cornmeal shortbread and the fresh blueberry compote - are all fantastic together, but each can be used in a lots of other ways. My best-friend Judy decided she wanted to entertain outside this summer and she gave me the tedious (NOT!!) task of looking for a WOW dessert but understated and we both agree that this is the one. This is not the only dessert she is serving so we want to choose with much thought to her other desserts, as well. Food&Wine Magazine, August 2009 edition.Just between chilling and cooling time it takes about 6 hrs, that is if it is all done in one day - the shortbread can be made up to two days ahead of time & the assembled parfaits can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1MAKE THE SHORTBREAD:.
- 2In a medium bowl, mix the flour with the cornmeal and salt.
- 3In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, mix the butter with the confectioners’ sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- 4Beat in the orange zest and vanilla extract.
- 5Add the flour mixture and beat at low speed until the dough just comes together.
- 6Pat the shortbread dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 7Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 8Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 9Unwrap the chilled shortbread dough and roll it out between 2 sheets of parchment paper to an 8-inch round (1/2 inch thick).
- 10Cut the dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips and transfer the strips to the baking sheets; leave 1 inch between each strip.
- 11Refrigerate the dough strips for 30 minutes, until chilled.
- 12Bake the shortbread for about 20 minutes, until golden; rotate the pans halfway through for even baking.
- 13While the warm shortbread strips are still on the baking sheet, cut them into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 14Let cool, about 30 minutes.
- 15MAKE THE BLUEBERRY COMPOTE:.
- 16In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of the blueberries with the sugar and water.
- 17Bring to a simmer and cook over moderate heat until the blueberries break down, about 5 minutes.
- 18Scrape the blueberry sauce into a blender, add the lemon juice and puree until smooth.
- 19Scrape the blueberry sauce into a bowl and fold in the remaining 1 cup of whole blueberries.
- 20Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- 21MAKE THE CHEESECAKE CUSTARD:.
- 22In a medium saucepan, bring 3/4 cup of the milk to a boil with 3 tablespoons of the sugar; remove from the heat.
- 23In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- 24Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg yolks, then pour the mixture into the saucepan and whisk constantly over moderate heat until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 25Over low heat, whisk in the cream cheese, lemon juice, grated lemon zest and vanilla extract until smooth, about 1 minute.
- 26Scrape the cheesecake custard into a bowl.
- 27Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the custard and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- 28In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream to medium peaks.
- 29Fold the whipped cream into the chilled cheesecake custard until no streaks remain.
- 30Spoon the shortbread cubes and custard into bowls.
- 31Drizzle with the blueberry compote, garnish with the lemon zest strips and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Blueberry Cheesecake Parfaits
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.6
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.2 g
- Saturated Fat 27.5 g
- Cholesterol 233.0 mg
- Sodium 387.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 30.9 g
- Protein 8.2 g