Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A perfect flavour combination ....... a creamy, velvety texture ......... delicious! When I saw the photo in the Company's Coming - Baking - Simple To Sensational, I just had to buy the book. This recipe alone made me glad that I bought it! I forgot to keep track of my prep time (so I've estimated) but due to the standing time, its best to make this a day in advance.
VANILLA WAFER CRUST
- 4 cups vanilla wafers (or 2 3/4 cups wafer crumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 24 ounces blocks cream cheese, chopped & softened
- 2⁄3 cup full fat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen & thawed)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- CRUST: Process wafers in food processor or blender until fine crumbs; combine with remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Press evenly in the bottom of a greased 9 inch spring form pan; chill for an hour.
- FILLING: Beat sugar & eggs in a large bowl until thick & pale; add next 4 ingredients, beat until well combined & pour over crust, spreading evenly.
- Bake in preheated 325F oven for 1 to 1/1/4 hours until centre is almost set.
- Run a knife around the inside edge of the pan to allow the cheesecake to settle evenly; let stand in the pan on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- TOPPING: Combine berries & sugar in a heavy saucepan; heat & stir on medium for 5 to 7 minutes to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 5 minutes to release juice from the berries.
- Combine the water & corn starch in a small cup until smooth; add to blueberry mixture, stir until thickened and allow to cool.
- ASSEMBLY: Pour topping over cheesecake in pan & smooth the top; Cover & chill for at least 6 hours & preferably overnight.
I love blueberry and lemon flavors together and this cheesecake was wonderful. For the crust I used Nilla brand vanilla wafers and they worked nicely. Used fresh lemon juice for the filling and frozen/thawed blueberries for the topping. This is well worth the wait! Thank you Country Lady for posting this recipe! Made and reviewed for Iron Chef....Secret Ingredient recipe tag game.
Sounds lovely reading it except one thing: ALWAYS cream/soften your cream cheese FIRST. Even at room temperature it cannot be mixed into the egg/sugar mix. You will get lumpy cheesecake.
My family loves this recipe. I do use light cream cheese and low fat sour cream and it is great! Fresh lemon juice is also a bonus. Thanks for sharing this recipe!