Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
The taste of my childhood, visits to my aunt in the east coast. Use wild blueberries if you can find them for an extra special taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, wild
Hot Honey-Butter Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup honey, orange blossom,clover (or your favourite)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- *Makes1 cup of sauce Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cake Grease and flour a 8" square pan.
- Blend flour, nutmeg, salt and baking powder together.
- In a small bowl mix milk, lemon juice and rind together.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar.
- Gradually add 2 eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, (3X) alternating with sour milk (2X), remembering to blend lightly.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool slightly.
- Cut while warm into squares and serve upside down with Hot Honey-Butter Sauce.
- Hot Honey-Butter Sauce In small pan mix water and cornstarch blend well then gradually add honey, butter and lemon juice.
- Boil over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When ready sauce is thick and clear.
- Pour hot sauce over the warm cut cake and enjoy.
- Down home comfort food.
I'm not even a blueberry fan and I love this recipe! Rich and fragrant without being overdone in any way. Thank you so much for sharing!
Very good. Next time I will add more blueberries and will toss them with flour to keep them from sinking. The sauce was a little too sweet for me but my husband enjoyed it. Next time I will reduce the water in the sauce by half and replace it with lemon juice.
I made this for my husband (who LOVES lemon) and his friends. They really enjoyed it. And, you know, since there's fruit in it, you can pretend it's somewhat healthy. ;) I know we'll make this again. Thanks for posting the recipe!