Recipe by Baby Kato
The taste of my childhood, visits to my aunt in the east coast. Use wild blueberries if you can find them for an extra special taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, wild
Hot Honey-Butter Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup honey, orange blossom,clover (or your favourite)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- *Makes1 cup of sauce Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cake Grease and flour a 8" square pan.
- Blend flour, nutmeg, salt and baking powder together.
- In a small bowl mix milk, lemon juice and rind together.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar.
- Gradually add 2 eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, (3X) alternating with sour milk (2X), remembering to blend lightly.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool slightly.
- Cut while warm into squares and serve upside down with Hot Honey-Butter Sauce.
- Hot Honey-Butter Sauce In small pan mix water and cornstarch blend well then gradually add honey, butter and lemon juice.
- Boil over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When ready sauce is thick and clear.
- Pour hot sauce over the warm cut cake and enjoy.
- Down home comfort food.