1/7 Photos of Lemon Blueberry Buckle
1 hr 15 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe showed up in the Food Section of the 27 May 2009, Los Angeles Times -- The original recipe was from the Rustic Fruit Desserts cookbook..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed, room temperature
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (Yes, again!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries, divided (fresh or frozen)
FOR THE LEMON SYRUP
- 1FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt & lemon zest.
- 2Add butter, using a fork or your fingers to cut in the butter until it is reduced to pea-size, then loosely cover the bowl & place it in the freezer while mixing the cake batter.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- 4FOR THE CAKE: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & nutmeg.
- 5In a large mixing bowl & with a hand mixer, cream together the butter, 3/4 cup sugar & lemon zest for 3-5 minutes or until light & fluffy.
- 6Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- 7Stir flour mixture into this butter mixture, about 1/3 at a time, alternating with the buttermilk, until both flour mixture & buttermilk are evenly incorporated into the batter.
- 8Gently fold just 1 cup of the blueberries INTO the batter, then spread the batter into the prepared pan before distributing the remaining blueberries evenly over the top of the batter.
- 9Remove the crumb topping from the freezer & sprinkle it over the berries.
- 10Bake the cake 45-50 minutes or until it is lightly golden & firm on top & a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean ~ Be sure to rotate it after the first 25 minutes for more even baking!
- 11FOR THE LEMON SYRUP: While the cake is baking, in a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup of sugar & the lemon juice, whisking together until well blended. Heat the pan over medium-low heat & cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, or until the liquid thickens a bit.
- 12Remove from heat & set aside to cool slightly.
- 13When the cake has finished baking, drizzle the warm glaze over the hot cake, then cool to room temperature.
- 14Any leftovers can be covered in plastic wrap & kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Blueberry Buckle
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.2
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 303.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 40.5 g
- Protein 6.1 g