Prep 30 mins
Cook 33 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blackberries or 1 cup frozen blackberry, unthawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°; grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a big bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar and eggs until blended; whisk in buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, 1 T lemon juice, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Gently fold in blackberries.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until tops are golden and pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in a pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool while you prepare the glaze.
- In a small saucepan, heat the remaining lemon juice and sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Brush warm muffin tops with lemon syrup.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving or let completely cool.