Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love lemon anything and these muffins are delicious. The blackberries in the center turn to a jamish layer and a perfect addition. Hope you like them. I use my large muffin tin pan that holds 6 for this recipe.
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup milk (almost)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup blackberry
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray or butter a muffin tin (insides and tops to prevent the muffins from sticking with the puff up) and set aside.
- Zest a lemon, and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a measuring cup over a sieve to catch the seeds and pips.
- Pour milk into the measuring cup to make up a half cup.
- Stir in the zest and vanilla, and then set aside.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- To the lemon and milk mixture, add the egg and whisk to combine.
- Next, add the cooled butter and mix well. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix just to combine.
- Do not overmix- there may well be lumps but that’s alright.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling them halfway.
- Sprinkle a few berries in and then continue to fill the muffin tins to the top.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for 25 minutes until the tops are springy.
- Cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.
I made these with orange which was what I had on hand, I used part wholemeal flour also & not as much sugar as called for, these were plenty sweet and lovely and spongy, I mashed up some of my blackberries so my mixture was a bit purple but these were a hit with miss 5 year old. Thanks for posting!
These were delicious! Unfortunately, my husband was not as impressed as he does not like the texture of cooked fruit. I definitely will make more for Christmas morning, but I will crush the fruit as some of the others have to see his response.
Doubled the recipe but used only 1/2 cup sugar. Could have used more sweetener for the kids Used partially thawed blackberrys which worked great. Cooked for 22 min. which left them nice and brown and fluffy. Great recipe, will use again with other fruit.