Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is my grandmother's recipe dating back years ago. It is a very light, airy dessert with a nice lemon flavor, and graham cracker crumbs on the bottom and top. It was always a favorite of mine when I was little and also with my children. No, you do not taste the evaporated milk when it is ready to eat. It's just a nice dessert when you need something that is not heavy.
- 1 (12 ounce) canregular evaporated milk (chilled overnight in the refrigerator)
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- Chill unopened can of evaporated milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- Dissolve jello in hot water and chill till partially set.
- Whip till light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and sugar.
- Whip the chilled milk; fold in jello mixture.
- Line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with half of the graham cracker crumbs.
- Gently pour bisque mixture into pan (if you pour to fast you will move the crumbs).
- Top with remaining crumbs.
- Chill till set; about 5 hours or a little less.
- Serves 12.
Ooh, this is so yummy, not just for after a meal, but the sweet counterpart to Chicken Noodle Soup when you are feeling under the weather. An added bonus is how easy it is to make. Try it, REALLY!
My grandmother had the same recipe, except used lime jello. Light and airy and fantastic!