Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Sooo yummy. A dense cake or light cheese cake depending on how you look at it :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (or milk)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen berries (I use a blend, but you can use any kind of berry)
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- FOR CAKE:.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9 inch spring form pan with foil, coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, lemon extract, zest, ricotta and half and half. Beat until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the flour, mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan and spread the berries(still frozen) over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is light golden brown and the cake is set.
- Let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes then cool in refrigerator until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
- FOR SAUCE:.
- While cake is cooling mix the berries, sugar and corn starch together in a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer stirring to prevent lumps from forming. Puree the berries in a blender or with an immersion blender. Let cool.
- Serve a piece of cake with a spoon full of sauce over the top.
This was a lovely - something akin to pound cake. I used frozen blueberries in the cake itself, and blueberries and raspberries for the sauce. We loved it.
Followed the recipe exactly and ended up with a nice dense textured cake. Topping was good but the overall taste of the cake wasn't anything special. The ricotta doesn't do anything for this cake either. It doesn't really taste like cheesecake nor spongy lemon cake. It does have the lemon flavor but I think the ricotta masks this taste even more. Since it's in between, it's just confusing. I wouldn't make this again.
This recipe is simple and delicious. Five stars, hands down. I did not have any lemon extract so I substituted Limoncello. This is a perfect dinner party dessert. Thanks for sharing.