Recipe by Derf
These are so delicious!! Great company dessert or just for the family to enjoy, very easy to do especially if you use frozen vol-au-vent shells.
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
I was a little confused about the directions on this. The directions say to "roll the pastry thinly" but I know from experience that if you roll it thinly, it doesn't look anywhere near as thick as the picture shown. And I couldn't figure out where the fillings would go (it seemed like they would just slide off the top). I rolled the dough out *slightly* and got 12 3-inch circles, and 12 2-inch circles to use as tops. After they were baked, I carefully tore a hole in the top of each of the 3-inch puffs, hollowing them out and discarding the scraps. Once hour before dinner, I filled the puffs with the fillings, and topped with the 2-inch circles. These had an great flavor and a very nice presentation. In place of the sugar, I used a little Stevia.
- 2 cups mixed berries, frozen
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar (I used splenda, just 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (397 g) package puff pastry, frozen OR
- 1 (300 g) packagevol-au-vent frozen pastry shells (6 shells)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Berry Sauce:.
- Make a slurry with the lemon juice and cornstarch. Bring the berries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch slurry in a saucepan to a boil over medium heat, stirring, until thickened. Cool to room temperature, set aside.
- Pastry Puffs:.
- To make small puffs - Preheat oven to 425°F Roll the pastry thinly; cut into 24 - 3 inch rounds. Transfer rounds to ungreased non stick cookie trays. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until puffed and golden; cool completely.
- Larger Puffs:.
- Bake vol-au-vent shells according to directions on box. Cool completely, remove tops to cool too.
- Lemon Filling:.
- Cook lemon juice, eggs, egg yolk, sugar and salt in a small, heavy saucepan over medium low heat, whisking for 10 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in butter until thick and creamy. Remove from heat. Cover the surface with a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap and cool completely. Fold in cream, or reserve cream to dollop on top under hat.
- To Assemble:.
- If using small puffs, halve pastry puffs horizontally. Top the bottom half with lemon filling, or fill vol-au-vent, spoon berry sauce over and top with top of puff or if using cream here, dollop on top of berry sauce and top with puff top. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Makes 6 large vol-au-vents or 24 small rounds.