Prep 6 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this yummy jam on the Ball canning website. Would be great with fresh or frozen fruit. This would be a nice gift to give someone!! Also a fun recipe to let your kids help with - my daughter LOVES to smash the berries up and help with stirring! ENJOY!
- 1 (1 5/8 ounce) package freezer jam pectin (Use Ball Fruit Jell Freezer Jam Pectin or similar)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 (12 ounce) bags frozen unsweetened mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- Remove berries from bags and place in a large bowl.
- Thaw berries in the refrigerator until soft enough to crush, but some ice crystals still remain.
- Crush berries with a potato masher.
- Measure 4 cups crushed berries; set aside.
- Combine freezer jam pectin and sugar in a medium bowl, stirring to evenly blend.
- Add crushed berries and lemon zest.
- Stir for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, if desired.
- For longer storage, ladle jam into clean freezer jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
- Yield: five 8-ounce jars.
What a wonderful recipe! I've made jams before, but this recipe is so easy, even a caveman could do it! Well, maybe I shouldn't say it quite that way, just in case there are any around! But it IS easy & at least this particular jam came out tasting great! I buy large bags of frozen berries at Costco & would love trying this recipe with their cherries & their blueberries! Thanks much for a great recipe keeper! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook recipe tag]
A great way for me to use up frozen berries from last summer still in my freezer! (gasp!) lol I didn't think the lemon would be very noticeable - but was pleasantly surprised at the overall taste between the berries and lemon zest. This is a keeper! Made for the June 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
Another great recipe for Christmas gift-giving time! My friends and family loved it!!