Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious and east twist on lemon meringue pie
- 1 ready-made pie crust, pre-cooked
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 0.5 (16 ounce) bagfrozen berries, frozen any kind, reserve liquid when thawing
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Prehest oven to 350, prebake the crust following package directions.
- in a medium saucepan, add water and lemon zest and juice. In a seperate bowl combine flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar. Slowly stir flour mixture into warming lemon water. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring until it reaches a boil. Stir in butter. In 2 small bowls, seperate eggs. Whisk egg yolks, and add 1/2 of lemon sugar mixture to bowl and whisk. Add back the eggs into the sugar mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil until it thickens.
- Spread thawed berries on the bottom of the cooked pie shell. Pour lemon filling over berries. Swirl reserved berry liquid onto the top of lemon filling, use a knife to cut swirls.
- In a large glass or metal blow, whip egg whites and 1 teaspoons reserved berry liquid, until foamy. Slowly add sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the adges at the crust.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake 17-20 minutes. Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack and then cool for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- ***Can be made and is great without meringue topping.add cool whip instead!
really good and easy to make! I used all 4 egg yolks, though, and the 4 egg whites for the meringue. I'll make this one again!