Recipe by BothFex
Last summer my MIL bought me some culinary lavender, as well as, a cookbook on how to utilize this wonderful herb. This is one of my favorite recipes from that book- a lovely, purple tasting dessert. Simple enough for a picnic brunch, elegant enough for a dinner party.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons culinary lavender (the flower pletals)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries or 1 1⁄2 cups blackberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- For the crust: whisk together the flour, salt, and 1 t.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pat into a tart pan (preferably one with a removable base), line with wax paper and fill with baking weights (or raw rice or beans) and bake 10 minutes.
- For the filling: Whisk eggs, 1 cup sugar, and lavender together.
- Add lemon juice and melted butter and mix well.
- Place cleaned berries in tart shell and pour filling over berries* and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- *If you have more custard then your tart can hold- pour in as much as you can then strain the lavender out of what's left over.
- Add lavender to tart.
- You want to make sure all that lavender goodness makes it into the dessert.