Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love Bed and Breakfast recipes. This one comes from The South Court Inn in Luray, VA.
Make and share this Lemon Belgian Waffles With Berry Syrup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lb berries (fresh or frozen-raspberry is my favorite)
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg in a bowl; make well in center; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon zest and juice, blend well.
- Add egg yolks to buttermilk mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- In a clean bowl (free of any grease) beat egg whites at low speed until they begin to froth.
- Add cream of tartar and beat at high speed until glossy, stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Add buttermilk mixture to well in flour mixture and whisk until no large lumps remain.
- Gently fold 1/2 of egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining egg whites (batter will be streaked with egg whites).
- Bake waffles on preheated waffles iron to a rich golden brown.
- Serve immediately topped with warm berry syrup.
- Berry Syrup:.
- Bring water and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add berries.
- Lower heat to low and cook gently for about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
great! the kids loved it! not too eggy.
These are excellent waffles. No way they will serve 8-10. I got 5 nice waffles out of this. Made as directed using blueberries for the berry syrup. Yum. thanks Bev