Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
If you are a little nervous about flipping the salmon over during grilling, the filets may be cooked skin-side down for about 4-5 minutes with the grill top kept down while cooking, or if you grill a lot of fish, invest in a long handled grilling cage which locks the fish in securely on both sides and makes flipping the fish a breeze!
- 1⁄2 cup favorite tangy barbecue sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 lbs salmon fillets (skin on)
- salt and pepper (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the BBQ sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin powder, soy sauce and cilantro.
- Rinse the salmon filets under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Brush the filets with just enough mixture to coat the outside of the filets.
- Reserve the rest of the sauce to brush on salmon when grilling.
- Let the salmon rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Generously oil/grease the grilling grates.
- Grill the filets flesh side down over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully turn the salmon filets over.
- Brush with remaining sauce/marinade, continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
This was okay but I felt that the barbeque sauce overpowered the fish. The sauce was good but think it may be better for chicken or pork.