Recipe by nikisabadgirl
Don't skip the fresh lemon rind and juice in the marinade--it's what makes this recipe special. These shrimp also make a terrific appetizer. The shrimp and dressing, as well as the Parmesan Baskets, can all be made a day ahead. From an article in Southern Living 2006.
- 3 lbs unpeeled cooked large shrimp
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- lemon-basil marinade
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 16 cups salad greens
- 8 parmesan cheese, baskets (optional)
fresh lemon vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Place shrimp and next 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Stir in basil 1 hour before serving. Drain and discard marinade just before serving.
- 2. Divide greens evenly between Parmesan Baskets or serving bowls; arrange drained shrimp mixture evenly over lettuce. Serve with Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette.
- Lemon Vinaigrette.
- 1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until blended.
- Note: To prepare ahead, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature, and whisk before serving.