Recipe by Rhonda *J*
I found this recipe in a Better Homes & Gardens magazine submitted by Kelly Thornberry,it was a $200.00 prize winner.
Top Review by Tamaretta
This new recipe was just so so for us. I too found it in the BH&G prize section. I followed the directions but the potatoes were very very dry, almost like instant potatoes in texture. We did enjoy the flavor of the lemon-basil and the cheesy topping. Thanks for posting!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh parsley
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil (or lemon basil)
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 3 egg whites
- snipped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in a covered saucepan in boiling water 20-25 mins.
- or until tender.
- Mash& set aside.
- In a bowl combine breadcrumbs, margarine,& parsley.
- Press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased 1 1/2 qt.
- casserole dish.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks,basil, lemon peel& juice,salt& ground white pepper,stir in milk& 1 cup of the cheese.
- Stir this milk mixture into mashed potatoes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form,fold into potato mixture.
- Transfer to prepared casserole and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for 45 mins.
- or until knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Garnish with fresh snipped parsley.
- Makes 8-10 servings.