Recipe by Rita~
Lightly infused with lemon from the basil. This can be used to glaze chicken or pork. Spoon it over cream cheese for a quick appetizer. Sweeten a cup of tea or lemonade. Warmed to glaze a cake. This can be made with regular basil, cinnamon basil, Thai basil, Purple basil. All creating a different jelly.
- 2 cups chopped packed lemon basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 (3 ounce) package dry pectin
- 2 cups honey
- 2 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place basil in apple juice, hot water and vinegar. Bring to a boil and let steep covered for 30 minutes.
- Strain and place 3 1/2 cups liquid into a pot.
- Stir in pectin and bring to a a full rolling boil.
- Add sugar and honey and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Ladle into sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe rims clean and apply lids and bands.
- Process in a hot water bath covered by 1-2 inches of water for 10 minutes.
- Shut off flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove without tilting the jars.
- Set on a flat surface in a draft free place 12-24 hours.
- Remove bands and wipe jars.
- Label and store in a dark place for 1 year.