Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Chicken breasts (or shrimp) marinated in a lemon & basil sauce. Low fat, easy to make on either the outdoor grill, indoor grill, or broiler. If you chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces, this also makes a nice stir fry. Note that the "cooking time" listed includes 60 minutes of marinating time. Note that the nutritional info calculated for this recipe isn't quite accurate, as a vast majority of the marinade is discarded!
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel (peel from 1 lemon)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1 Tbsp. dried basil)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (two whole breasts)
- Grate the lemon peel off of the lemon, and add it to a plastic gallon size sealing bag.
- Juice the lemon, and add the juice to the bag.
- Add the Olive oil, pepper, salt, white wine vinegar to the bag and mix all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the chicken (or shrimp) to the bag, mix it thoroughly, and let marinate for at least one hour, or as long as overnight.
- Cook on a grill, under a broiler, or (if the chicken is cut up) in a stirfry. Grill time is about 4-5 minutes per side for chicken.
- I like to serve this with rice and a salad with a creamy dressing.