Recipe by PanNan
This recipe is very simple to prepare, and tastes delicious. A perfect weeknight recipe. Do leave the skin and bones on the chicken pieces for more flavor and a lovely crisp skin. I typically double the recipe so that we can have leftovers. The recipe is from the cookbook Fresh & Fast by Marie Simmons. I serve with fresh seasonal vegetables.
Top Review by Dazy
Fun base recipe to play with! We did chicken thighs and I fine chopped a mixture of fresh chives, lemon thyme, and basil to pocket under the skin. I didn't use the lemon because I put in lemon thyme. It was AMAZING! Thanks so much!
- 2 lbs chicken, bone in, with skin (about 4 pieces)
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed slightly with the side of a knife
- 1⁄2 lemon, cut into 4 thin slices
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean and trim fat from chicken, and salt and pepper each side. Place chicken in a baking dish, skin side up.
- Loosen the skin on each piece, and place a basil leaf under the skin, directly on top of the chicken meat.
- Toss the garlic around the chicken in the baking dish.
- Place the lemon slices on top of each piece of chicken and drizzle with the oil.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes (depending on whether it's white meat or dark meat), basting with the garlic flavored pan juices every 10 minutes. The skin should be crisp and brown and the meat tender when it's ready to serve.