Delicate and crisp, you'll love using your garden fresh basil for these cookies. Even plain fresh basil may be substituted with exceptional results. Recipe from "Southern Living Christmas Cookies"
- Process basil and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until blended.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well.
- Add lemon juice and egg, beating until blended.
- Gradually add flour and basil mixture, beating until blended.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks; garnish if desired.
What a great, unusual recipe! Just what I am looking for. I cut the recipe to 1.5 dozen servings and used plain fresh basil leaves. The cookies came out with this amazing texture that is just in between chewy-soft and crispy (to me that's ideal). The cookies boast a delicate aroma of basil and gets a good, refreshing kick from the lemon juice. The only thing is that they might just be a little too sweet for me. All in all, though these cookies may not be immediately visually appealing, they'd definitely please any herb or basil fans. Thanks for posting.