Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicate and crisp, you'll love using your garden fresh basil for these cookies. Even plain fresh basil may be substituted with exceptional results. Recipe from "Southern Living Christmas Cookies"
- Process basil and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until blended.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well.
- Add lemon juice and egg, beating until blended.
- Gradually add flour and basil mixture, beating until blended.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks; garnish if desired.
What a great, unusual recipe! Just what I am looking for. I cut the recipe to 1.5 dozen servings and used plain fresh basil leaves. The cookies came out with this amazing texture that is just in between chewy-soft and crispy (to me that's ideal). The cookies boast a delicate aroma of basil and gets a good, refreshing kick from the lemon juice. The only thing is that they might just be a little too sweet for me. All in all, though these cookies may not be immediately visually appealing, they'd definitely please any herb or basil fans. Thanks for posting.