Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are among my favorite desserts. The Shortbread Crust is simplified by using melted butter. Original Source: Allrecipes.com "Lemon Square Bars" by Ralph. I reduced the white sugar in the topping to about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups. This works well with Meyer Lemons too -- reduce the white sugar in the topping to about 1 1/4 - 1 1/3 Cup as the Meyer Lemon juice is a bit sweeter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (I use Rumford without aluminum)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5⁄8 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan, making sure you grease the sides of the pan very well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour and confectioners' sugar until well-blended. (If the confectioner's sugar is lumpy, sift or push it through a strainer to get the lumps out.).
- Blend in the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake this (shortbread crust) in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the white sugar, baking powder and 1/4 cup of flour so there will be no flour lumps. Stir the sugar mixture into the eggs.
- Finally, stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.