Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Don't blame me if you get addicted to these bars!
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind (optional)
- For the base mix the butter into the flour and sugar.
- Mix with hands until it clings together.
- Press into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the filling, beat together eggs, sugar and lemon juice.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Stir into egg mixture.
- Pour over baked, cooled crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars.
Taking other's suggestions; I used 1/2 c. lemon juice, the zest of one lemon, and beat the eggs for about 7 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. I did not cool the crust before adding & baking the filling. They turned out great! They were completely set after 25 minutes in the oven. I think it helped to add the filling when the crust was still hot. I also lined the pan with foil (sprayed lightly with pam), leaving the edges long so that I could use the foil to lift the bars out of the pan once chilled. I do this with a lot of baked goods, so that I can put them on a cutting board and use a large, straight pizza cutter to cut them into nice bars. I found that they were easier to lift out and cut if they were chilled. Once lifted out of the pan and cut, I then let them come to room temperature before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.
Absolutely delicious. I too increased the lemon zest, using the zest of one lemon. Nothing else to change. Easy and the taste is divine. As suggested by Mirj might give orange a go next time.
"I BETCHA CAN'T EAT JUST ONE" These are not only EASY but if you like the taste of real lemon this is it!